Recipe for Rootleaf (YodaJeff.com)
Recipe for Rootleaf
This recipe serves 8 hungry young Jedi
3 pouds lean lamb or other meat
Salt to taste, if desired
Freshly ground pepper to taste
6 tablespoons oil (light corn, vegetable or other)
6 cups finely chopped parsley
3 cups thinly sliced onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons finely minced ginger root
1 teaspoon finely chopped seeded hot green or red chilies
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bay leaf
3 pounds fresh spinach, well rinsed, tough stems removed
1) Cut the meat into 1" (one inch) cubes; add salt and pepper to taste.
2) Heat half the oil in a heavy skilet and add the meat until the pieces turn brown on all sides.
3) Heat the remaining oil in a Dutch oven or heavy casserole and add parsley, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted. Add the meat, coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger root, chilies, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
4) Add water to cover, bring to boil and cover tightly. Let simmer about 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the meat is quite tender.
5) Meanwhile, drop the spinach into a kettle of boiling water with salt to taste and let simmer about 5 minutes. Drain well and run under cold water. Drain thoroughly.
6) Squeeze the spinach to remove all excess liquid. Place the spinach on a chopping block and chop coarsely.
7) Add the spinach to the stew and stir. Let simmer together about 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.